Skip to main content

Collection on Xavier University Histories

 Collection
Identifier: XUA-113
This collection consists of published and unpublished histories of Xavier University (Cincinnati, Ohio) beginning with its origins as the Athenaeum in 1831.

Dates

  • circa 1920-2017

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use. Materials must be viewed by appointment in the Archives Research Room.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright is held by Xavier University (Cincinnati, Ohio) but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.

Extent

.6 Cubic Feet

Overview

This collection consists of published and unpublished histories of Xavier University (Cincinnati, Ohio) beginning with its origins as the Athenaeum in 1831.

Biographical / Historical

Xavier University (Cincinnati, Ohio) was founded in 1831 by Bishop Edward Fenwick as the Athenaeum, a college dedicated to religion and the liberal arts. In 1840, the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) assumed responsibility of the Athenaeum at the request of Cincinnati Archbishop John Purcell. The Jesuits rename the school St. Xavier College. John Elet, SJ, served as the first Jesuit president of the college. After renovations, the school opened on November 3, 1840. The state of Ohio granted a charter to the college for thirty years in 1842 and then the general assembly of the state of Ohio passed an Act of Incorporation for the college in 1869. On August 4, 1930, the college changed its name to Xavier University. Originally located in downtown Cincinnati on Sycamore Street between 6th and 7th streets, the University purchased land in the Avondale/Norwood/Evanston area in 1911 and moved the University operations there in 1919.

Arrangement

Materials are organized in chronological order by estimated creation date.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The majority of the materials were gathered by University Archives staff over time and collocated into a single collection beginning in 2013. Collection also contains gifts from C. Walker Gollar (2013 and 2017) and Fr. Dennis Ahern, SJ, (2012 and 2016).

Existence and Location of Copies

Some materials from the collection have been digitized and are available at https://www.exhibit.xavier.edu/ebooks/ [web link].
Title
Finding Aid for the Collection on Xavier University Histories
Author
UASC Staff
Date
2020 November 13
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Special Collections, Xavier University Library Repository

Contact:
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati Ohio 45207 US
513-745-4821