Bellarmine Chapel Records
Scope and Content
Bellarmine Chapel records include weekly parish announcements (March 1930- July 1963), weekly parish bulletins (November 1952- October 1995), and reports and legal records regarding the relationship between Xavier University and St. Robert Bellarmine Parish (2001, 2014). There is gap in the weekly parish bulletins from March 1971-1993. The announcements and bulletins include information on parish activities, services, clergy, and members. They also contain notices from the Archbishop of Cincinnati, religious instruction, schedules of masses, and information on offerings and liturgical activities. There are a few annual financial reports in the weekly bulletins. The records also include a report titled "Toward A Shared Future" to Xavier University from Bellarmine Parish dated March 5, 2001 and legal agreements regarding the property dated July 21, 2014.
- Majority of material found within 1930-1971
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
This collection is the physical property of Xavier University. Copyright law of the United States governs the reproduction of copyrighted material. The User assumes full responsibility for the fair use of materials requested in total compliance with the copyright law of the United States that may arise through the use of any requested materials.
History of Bellarmine Chapel
Bellarmine Chapel is a Jesuit parish (St. Robert Bellarmine Parish) of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati located on the campus of Xavier University. It is named in honor of St. Robert Bellarmine (1542-1621), a Jesuit theologian and cardinal of the Catholic Church. Bellarmine Chapel was first located in Schmidt Hall, which was constructed and dedicated in 1926. It became a canonical parish of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati in 1927. The present chapel was dedicated on December 16, 1962. The chapel interior was remodeled in 1998 and an addition was built in 2004.
2.7 linear feet (7 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
Bellarmine Chapel records include weekly parish announcements (1930-1963), weekly parish bulletins (1952-1995), and legal records and reports regarding the relationship between Xavier University and St. Robert Bellarmine Parish (2001, 2014). St. Robert Bellarmine is a Jesuit parish of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati located on the campus of Xavier University in Bellarmine Chapel.
Statement of Arrangement
The records are arranged in three series according to their original order: Series I: Weekly Parish Announcements; Series II: Weekly Parish Bulletins; and Series III: Reports and Legal Records. Arrangement is chronological within series.
Weekly announcements and bulletins received prior to 2017. Report and legal records received as gift from Daniel Hartnett, SJ in 2014.
Collection may have been originally processed by Lee Bennish, SJ, University Archivist, in the 1970s. Collection rehoused and 2014 accrual added by Thomas Kennealy, SJ, University Archivist, in 2017.
- Bellarmine Chapel Records
- Edited Full Draft
- Thomas Kennealy, SJ and Anne Ryckbost
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note